Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Slow Progress

Never did manage to give myself any time off at the weekend. After deciding I was going to take Saturday evening off, I then switched the computer on and polished the add-in scene I’d drafted. I’m pretty happy with how it came out, and I think it fits neatly into the story and ties up a few lose ends, but I’ve also a sneaking suspicion that it could have been even better. My blasted laptop decided to crash part way through writing it, and lost everything. After much searching of temp files, I ended up starting over Now, maybe it’s me mythologizing things but when this happens (and it’s happened often enough, and yes, I have measure in place to try and avoid it) I’m always convinced that the first version was better. Having to reconstruct paragraphs of text really saps the immediacy you get in a first draft. And thinking erotic thoughts isn’t easy when you’re internally cursing the computer and trying to remember what you bloody well wrote.

Anyway, with that done, Dark Designs is now on hold until I get some feedback from my partner, so I’m trying to make some headway on my Sex and Shopping Story. I’m not sure how far I’m going to get with it. It’s a bit of random silliness involving teapots, but I do have another idea which is probably more commercial. The dilemma now is whether to begin the second story before I’ve finished the first. I know what I’m like, if I don’t complete one thing at a time, nothing gets finished.

3 comments:

wendywoo said...

Ooh, mega sympathy on the lost text! I've had that happen before now, and I know that haunted feeling that the first version was the best... But you never know, the new version might have fresh things in it that are even better!

Sam said...

Hey, I just found you! Another writerly blog to add to my favourites! Sam/Maya xx

Madelynne said...

Hi Sam, hope I find something interesting for you to read.