Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Upset

Fucking, damn, useless heap of crap!

I swear I'm close to dropping my laptop in a very large puddle. Despite really struggling with my current WIP, it's never really got of the ground yet, I settled down this evening to plod on, not worry too much about what I was writing and see where things went. They went reasonably good, and to the tune of about 1000 words. Then, guess what, the damn hunk-of-junk freezes up and voila, I lose the lot, despite, autosave, autobackup, autorecovery, temp file hell.

'Yeah!' hollers my computer. 'I've recovered your document.' Like hell you have. You've recovered the file I opened an hour ago.

Can you tell I'm just a little bit tetchy?

Off to console myself, and engage in a bit of brainwashing. I wrote rubbish, it's really no loss. I wrote... No, dammit, it was good. <sob>

3 comments:

wendywoo said...

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that! Bloody computers... they're great when they work, but they can be monsters that screw you up big time...

I know it's no compensation, but you might find that if you don't force your memory, you might actually find yourself remembering quite a bit of what you wrote, maybe when you're doing other things? And maybe some fresh new slant will occur to you as you're reassembling what you lost...

Madelynne said...

Thanks for that, Wendy. I feel much more philosophical about it today, but I still don't remember what I wrote. I think I'm going to tinker with something else of a few days, and chill a bit.

Saskia Walker said...

That's the worst. But when it comes back to you it will be even richer for the fermenting, I bet. ;)