Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Grrr...crappy reviews

Sad writer that I am, I waste far too much time checking out Amazon etc to see if anyone has written a review. Well, I found a pretty crappy one, which is making me feel grizzly, as if the blasted heat wasn't doing that already. I do wonder why people go to the effort of reading things that are so obviously not to their tastes, though. Shrugs. Erotica is such a personal thing. I'm never going to appeal to everyone's tastes, so I'll happily continue catering to my own. That is why I started writing, after all.

Sod it, I've just about got a handle on Desperate Measures. I'm not going to be distracted.

Might go and re-read Ashley Lister's review over at ERWA to remind myself that other people have liked it, though.

5 comments:

wendywoo said...

Aw... sending big hugs of sympathy to you! I know *exactly* how you feel because I recently discovered a couple of absolute stinkers for my Hotbed on Amazon, and I know how they can really undermine you.

And yeah, 'each to her own' and 'constructive crit is good' and 'everyone has a right to express their opinion' but it still hurts, doesn't it?

Love, Wendy

Nikki said...

Yes heartfelt sympathy. I think we all live in fear of bad reviews. On a good day, I'd say that was a pretty cool thing to have to worry about really.

On a bad day, I'd probably retire to a darkened room and sob for hours. He he... : )

I was reading some author interview - Anne Lamott - and she was using the phrase 'my critics'.
I suppose along with saying 'my editor', 'my book' and 'my readers', we'll all end up saying 'my critics' at some point. It's almost inevitable someone somewhere will take a dislike to one's work.

Hope you are storming ahead with the WIP, and taking it all in your capable stride honey. You have exactly the right attitude: 'shrugs'. And I look forward to reading the finished product.

xx Nikki

Saskia Walker said...

HUGS! Madelynne. It always hurts. I found the most horrid comments on my first novella about 3 weeks back, I was even told I should be ashamed of myself. I lost it. Everything went to pot. I was down and unable to write for over a week. It really hurts, but you're doing the right thing reading the good ones again. I have to remind myself that everyone gets bad reviews, you can't please all the people all the time. It's just a shame some have to be so cruel about it. You'll come back fighting!

Madelynne said...

Cheers, ladies. You're support is really appreciated.

Kate Pearce said...

I got a doozy on Pleasurable Bargains a few weeks ago. Some people really shouldn't comment on erotica when they simply hate it :)
hugs!