Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Oh, hell!

First three chapters of AGW2 are done. Well, obviously I need to sit on them a few days and then do tweakage and rethinks but essentially, they are are done. This means I've reached the dreaded synopsis writing stage again.

HAVE I MENTIONED HOW MUCH I HATE WRITING THE DAMN THINGS!!!

I'm not a natural plotter. Some writers like to have everything beautifully outlined before they write a word. Me, I like to listen to the characters chatter inside my head and write any way it tumbles onto the page. This is fine if you're writing the whole book before sending it out to editors for consideration, but when you're trying to get them to take it on a partial it's a whole different game.

SYNOPSIS = ESSENTIAL

ME = SYNOPSIS = PAIN

Now don't get me wrong, I do have some idea where this book is going. It's just, I'm a bit sketchy on the details and how it all hangs together. Bleurgh! I'm sure I'll muddle through.

However, in the future I think I shall write character names, locations, props and assorted other weirdness on to scraps of paper, drop em in a bag and pick them out at random, thus creating an amazing (um crap) plot in seconds that can be easily turned into a synopsis.

Hey, it works for LRP events!

In other news, I didn't make it into Sex with Strangers (boo!), but the editor liked the story (hurray!). Anyway, it's temporarily on the shelf awaiting opportunites. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for calls, as it's a story I'm particularly fond of.

Next Wicked Words deadline is coming up in January. The theme is Paranormal. I have two stories started, but that means nothing. Can't send them unless I finish them, and I won't do that until this blasted synopsis is written.

Better get to it...
--

Recently watched: Torchwood (loving it), Stormriders (I want a sword graveyard too!)
Currently listening to: Moon by Gackt
Currently reading: Re-reading Beyond Innocence by Emma Holly.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Aargh, Madelynne. Let's dispense with synopses and plots and start doing freeform Dadaist erotica...

I hate the buggers too. My solution is avoidance. I'm sure you'll come up with a good one...

Nikki x