Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Demon Book

Oh, plot, where are you? Why won't you fall into place and make everything simple?

I've started on the demon-book. The opening scene is written and I love it. My male protagonist is nice and easy to write, probably because I have a really clear mental picture of him, and any time I'm not sure I can zip over to YouTube and remind myself.

(Hmm, considering sharing the link, but I think I'll wait until I'm a bit further into the story so as not to jinx anything.)

The thing is I've now switched to the heroine's pov and it's going horribly wrong. She just won't talk to me. I have a clear visual image for her, but her voice and attitude are just way off. I can't see what's inside her head. Why does she have to be such a bitch? I think she's hiding some big secret from me.

5 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

At least it sounds as if you've got a proper story... not like the cardboard cutout thing I'm towing about with! My heroine is a moron, and that's much worse than a bitch! And she isn't even hiding a secret or anything... she's just a twerp! And as for my hero... I just haven't thought him through. The whole thing's a mess!

And I bet yours is actually really fabboo!

Madelynne Ellis said...

The first 1.5K is fabbo, the rest is just non-existent, but I think I have a plan for solving it. I'm going to stick with the hero a bit longer, until I really get into my stride. I can always go back and add scenes from the heroine's pov if I need them.

Anaïs Nohant said...

Laughing while feeling your pain. That's a LWFYP rather than LOL.

My idiotic herione and heroes keep speaking like they're stuck in some horrid epic poem. Egadders!

Then, I unerve my whole family when I start yelling at the computer screen with two fist flailing in the air, "Why are you talking like this...nobody talks this way. What is wrong with you? Talk like real people you idiots"

Thanks for the smile this morning.

Madelynne Ellis said...

Glad to be of service, Anais. Hope your h&h sort themselves out.

Nikki Magennis said...

Yes, I've got a stubborn moron of a heroine right now too. I think that's because they always end up having a lot of me in them...

There was a lovely exercise I tried recently: Write 3 or 4 lines of physical description for a character. One of these lines should also hint at something deeper in the character...I don't usually imagine them so vividly, but just trying that out threw up some iinteresting things I hadn't realised about the character. Worth a shot?