Monday, April 30, 2007

The Road Ahead...


So, the narrative is flowing. I'm forcing myself onwards even though a large part of me wants to step back, to shy away from the course I've set.

This morning I've been working on two faintly comic scenes and thinking of a third - the dark and emotive heart of the story... listening to Scott Walker as I gear myself up to write it.

Already I feel the weight of broken dreams as the character's skin tightens around mine. Sometimes you have to be them, you have to lose part of yourself to understand what they are truly feeling.The next two weeks (maybe more) will be difficult.

How do you prepare yourself to tear half your heart out?

I could step back, just skim over the surface and move on, but I know that would be cheating, and ultimately dissatisfying. So wish me luck.

---
Recently watched: Nowt
Currently listening to: The Best of Scott Walker
Currently reading: Gothic Blue by Portia da Costa & Scandal's Bride by Stephanie Laurens

3 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

Gosh, I am so in awe of the deep way you work! I can't wait to read this book... it sounds so intense, so complex and emotional. I'm hungry to dive into it...

Writing isn't easy, is it?

kristina lloyd said...

Oh Madelynne ... he's naked again. You are so kind.

Madelynne Ellis said...

I seem to recall it's from a film... and he's totally yummy in that too, but not in nearly enough scenes.