Saturday, May 19, 2007

St Ives

I'm reading Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens at the moment. Enjoying it, aside from a few minor points of irritation - locations. I'm from the UK, when a character turns up with the title Duke of St Ives, I imagine this relates to the St Ives most people think of when you say St Ives, ie the place in Cornwall, not some piddling little village down the road from Huntingdon. Sorry, but this particular point completely pulled me out of the book as I tried to ascertain why on earth anyone would travel to Cambridgeshire via St Ives! Grrr. Also hoping that the plot is going to be thicker than it so far appears. I like to be kept guessing... just a little bit... please. But as I said, I am enjoying the read.

Meanwhile, the word count for Phantasmagoria is slowly creeping upwards. I've reached the three quarters mark today - hurray! Still, there's loads to do before then end, and then I can start on the fun bit - polishing. I know some writers love the thrill and the intensity of the first draft, but what I enjoy is making the raw text sparkle. Second and subsequent drafts are where the locations and the characters really come to life. I'm looking forward to that tweaking and not being horribly concerned about getting at least 1K on paper per day.

--
Recently watched: Blackadder III
Currently listening to: As much silence as I can get.
Currently reading: Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens

5 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

Yeah, where *do* they get all these hundreds of Dukes from? It's only a relatively small country... LOL!

Mina Murray said...

At the risk of sounding unpatriotic - Stephanie Laurens is probably one of Australia's most successful authors, bar Thomas Keneally - I find the language Laurens uses in her naughty scenes quite repetitive (both within a single novel and from novel to novel). I've read most of her work, but had to take a break, because, honestly, I got to the point where if I was told *again* how the heroine "shattered" at the moment of le petit mort , or how she "broke apart," I would scream. If fragmentation was a precondition for achieving climax, I would be in a million pieces by now.

She does have the prepossessingly masterful male characters down pat though. They are, to a one, growlers, but that's not such a bad thing, I suppose.

Madelynne Ellis said...

Hey ladies,

Wendy, I could warble on at length about the perfusion of Duke's in romantic literature, but I would only bore everyone.

Mina, thanks for dropping by and commenting. This is only the second Stephanie Laurens book I've read. Yes, her sex scenes do get a bit repetitive as the book goes on and grin not nearly wild enough for my erotica loving tastes. Still, she's not the only author who resorts to repetitive description. I've lost count of how many times LKH's Meredith Gentry has swallowed the moon! Must endeavour to do better in my own work.

Portia Da Costa said...

Now you've done it, Mina! PDC is on a mission to have one of her heriones 'shatter' sooner or later... but do it in a way that's a bit different. :)

Emily Veinglory said...

It reminds me of the American who got a really good deal on the plane fair to Paris. Yep, wrong Paris (Texas, I think).

I'd expect a least some character would mention it wasn't 'the' St. Ives and I am a hemisphere away from being British.