Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Why are muses so fickle?

The last week has been a proper slog just trying to get anything on paper. I've been doing my best, but it's not easy when you've hit a stumbling block and have other things weighing on your mind. My muse had deserted me. Leastways, that's what I thought...

Muse...ack! Why do you only appear when a) I am in the bath and the water is rapidly going cold, or b) late at night when I am tucked up cozy in bed and have an early start in the morning? Why can't you come out to play while I'm sitting at the laptop or in the sunshine with a cuppa?

Also, what is it about writing sex scenes that makes them so elusive you have to write them down immediately or risk never recapturing the moment?

...my questions for the day, while I work on seating arrangements for tea, how best to tie a man in a sack, and whether a wine glass or a napkin is the item of the moment. Don't ask ;-)

2 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

I am fed up of my muse only starting up last thing at night when I am far too tired to switch the light on again and start scribbling...

I always *know* that I'll never remember any of the stuff I think up in the morning, but sometimes, it's just too much of an effort to wake up properly again and note it down.

Sigh...

t'Sade said...

I find then when I come up with a really cool sex scene, I have to not think (or *cough* other things) about it until I actually write it. I just get the basic idea, sometimes on paper or in the back of my head, but the point is not to use it. For me, it loses that vibrancy with overpolishing (of many types).

Sadly, once I'm done with it, its basically a limp rag anyways and I can't really enjoy it. But, when I write it... *sighs happily*

As for muse, I always get them as I'm drifting to sleep, waking up in the morning, or driving when I can't possibly stop. Its always the worse times, because I *wanna* think about it, and I have nothing really else to do, but I can't write it if I think about it too soon.

My best approach was to tell my muse, no more stripping until I'm in front of a computer or a pad of paper to write it down. After the distractionary response, she ignored me anyways.