Sunday, August 19, 2007

Phantasms


So, two weeks to go and only now am I writing the details of the title scene of Phantasmagoria. Not a great place to be, I suspect. But hey, it's just tweaking, right! The scene was hazy before, now with a little help from Mr Madelynne, the details are bringing it to life.

Actually, I think I love this scene now. It so deliciously gothic.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking about names today. Character names, that is, and where they come from. I know some people surf the web, or trawl baby name books, and phone books, and even stick pins in maps, and I've done all these things too, but I can't name my main characters by this method. My main characters always seem to arrive with their names attached.

Sometimes I'll get a name in my head, that just pops up again and again for weeks until suddenly a whole character appears. Not that I let them totally dictate. Odd or unsuitable names can create the wrong impression, or reader expectations. In those cases, its a simple case of find and replace on the finished manuscript. Zap! Instant conformity. Depressing, eh?

How does everyone else name their characters?
--
Recently watched: Coupling, Season 2
Currently listening to: 666 by HYDE
Currently reading: Phantasmagoria edits.

7 comments:

Terra Kent said...

My characters name come attached with them most of the time, 75%. Love the blog and the pics :-) Actually from your pics I found the perfect picture for one of my upcoming characters :-)

Nikki Magennis said...

Names...um. I pick a nice name and then change it fifty times. Edit, replace, edit, replace. I wish mine came with names attached. Personalities would be good too...plot, dialogue. Isn't there somewhere you can buy characters?

; )

Madelynne Ellis said...

Ooo, which pic, Terra? Enquiring minds (well mine) want to know.

Madelynne Ellis said...

Hmm, maybe I should start a character workshop. Build em and sell them on. What do you think, Nikki? Would I have a client?

Terra said...

The Jonthan Myers standing one Yummy

Madelynne Ellis said...

Yes, he is particularly gorgeous with long hair.

Nikki Magennis said...

Oh yes. I'll buy 'em. Could I place an order? One mid-thirties antagonist with f/m/f capability and red hair, please. Is that tax deductible?