Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Strangeness of Proofs.

No Svening for me this weekend, unless you count the 200 words I wrote in the bath. I have my excuses though - Phantasmagoria proofs. I think I have eye strain now, but I've managed to get through them.

Proofs are strange little beasties. You don't have the luxury to sit back and enjoy the story and you only get the most basic impression of what it's like to hold the book in your hand. Mostly, you're too busy trying to pick out teeny tiny misprints and stuff in a sea of small print. Naturally all this scrutiny brings out the worst of my self-doubts. Is the first half pacy enough? I don't know, I was reading it aloud at a snail's pace, trying to digest every word. Is Vaughan completely deranged? Very probably. Am I?

Well I think I'll leave that one unanswered.

It is odd though, having come to the end of the story, I'm not really feeling all that wistful. Normally, I'm busy mourning the loss of my characters. I think it's because I know in this case there's still more to come. Also, despite my abysmal progress with my Sven project (AGW-spin-off), I'm starting to really get a feel for the story and enjoy it. I just hope when it gets as far as the submission stage, my editor feels the same way. Still wish I had a title for it. The working title is utter crap and I'm not even slightly happy with it.

Actually, titles could be a whole new rant. I find it odd that at the moment I have several projects I want to work on, but the two I've decided to proceed with are the two that don't have titles. AGW3 has a title, as does the follow-up to Broken Angel.

Well, it's now just gone midnight, so I think I deserve a nice break. I could write, maybe I should even try to as I know I won't get a thing done tomorrow, but considering what's on the schedule, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Hmm, a nice book to curl up with methinks... or a maybe a spot of YouTube.

1 comment:

Portia Da Costa said...

Yeah, proofs are weird... and terrifying. Despite having read the book umpteen times, the proof stage is *always* when I spot some stupid inconsistency I've perpetrated!

Re. titles. Well, I have to have a title before I start... even if it's a rubbish one! :)