Saturday, December 29, 2007

A few favourites - 2007

So, I've been keeping track of my reading over the last year, enjoying titles by some new-to-me authors and some old favourites, and before I begin a new list for 2008, I thought it might be interesting to pick out a few favourites and titles that made a lasting impression.

Favourite Historical: Stephanie Laurens, A Rake's Vow


Despite the annoyances like the occurrence of "super carriage" Stephanie Laurens can still spin a good story. I've picked this one, because I love Vane Cynster. He's intelligent, cynical and cool, and not too overbearing.






Favourite Yaoi Manga:
Gorgeous Carat vol 1-4, You Higuri












If you're looking for lashings of m/m sex you wont find it here. The relationship here is implied rather than realised, but it's entertaining nonetheless. But poor, poor Florian. He really doesn't have a good time.






Favourite Erotica/Erotic Romance: Tie between Fairyville, Emma Holly & Suite Seventeen, Portia da Costa


I enjoyed both of these books in different ways, and they're so dissimilar I can't actually choose between them. Fairyville is quirky and imaginative if somewhat on the light side, while Suite Seventeen is good old fashioned fun that left me smiling for days afterwards.




Favourite Series:
JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood.














There's no denying that JR Ward is addictive, and there are plenty of things to irk me about the various relationships, but I enjoyed reading them all the same, and in a very short space of time. Worth it for the few moments when Butch and Vishous are actually being honest!

--
Recently watched: Blake's 7 Series 4
Currently listening to: Lara blatting things.
Currently reading: The Rules of Gentility by Janet Mullany

4 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

Wow, thanks, mate! I'm so glad you enjoyed Suite Seventeen... It's a book I struggled with in the writing, but happily it seemed to turn out okay. :)

I agree on Fairyville too. It's a lovely, hot, whimsical read. Quite unlike anything else I've read this year.

And I'm so honoured to share the pick with Emma Holly! She's pretty much the touchstone in erotic romance, isn't she?

Madelynne Ellis said...

You're welcome, Wendy! I really couldn't pick between them. They may both be erotic romance but their worlds apart in terms of the storyline.

Anaïs Nohant said...

Reading Fairville now. Meant to have read this earlier but the whole fairy thing made me a tad skeptical that I'd honestly enjoy it. Yet, the further I get along I realize Emma Holly could probally incorporate gnomes and she'd still have me hooked.

Anyways...wanted to wish you a terrific New Year and can't wait for Phantasmagoria's release.

Madelynne Ellis said...

Thanks, Anais. Hope you have a good one too!

I'll admit I was sceptical about the faeries too.