Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Dawdling disillusionment

I truly am a terrible blogger. I could bore you all with excuses but the truth is, I'm feeling really disillusioned at the moment and that combined with wisdom teeth woes is sapping my creative energy.

After a mammoth struggle to complete a vampire story, I did finally succeed in subbing two of the buggers to Black Lace for their upcoming anthology. One of them is significantly darker and better than the other, but it I always worry about stories that come out like that. I get a buzz off them, but erotic horror is not necessarily what people are looking for in a vampire anthology. Hopefully I'll learn the fate of these stories soon as the deadline is not far off. Fingers crossed. Gawd, it's always so much worse when you really love the stories in question.

As for novel projects - I've been scribbling notes down for a contemporary, but despite a workable outline, genuine chemistry between the characters, and some lovely quirks, my heart just isn't in it. I've decided I'm really not that fond of straight contemporaries. I don't read many of them either.

Anyway, after two weeks of torturing myself with this project, I've pushed it to one side and decided to concentrate on polishing up Fortuna. There's a fair bit to do, including an entire chapter at the end to write, but I'm feeling more positive about my writing already for working on it.

How about after Fortuna? I seriously don't know what comes next. It could be Darleston's book, back to Desperate Measures, the Broken Angel sequel or maybe even a return to Egypt. Um, yeah, I'm doing my best to ignore the last option on the list. I'm not sure I can face the research involved, or the contemporariness of it. Not yet anyway... we'll see...

Oh, and I love this picture.




--
Recently watched: CSI, Torchwood finale, Dr Who.
Currently listening to: Suede, Cast & the Velvet Goldmine Soundtrack
Currently reading: Sin by Sharon Page & For Her Pleasure by Maya Banks

9 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

Aw, sorry to hear about the wisdom teeth. I hope they settle down soon.

Am feeling a bit disillusioned and directionless myself. Forever waiting, waiting, waiting and unable to enthuse about anything in the meantime.

I loved the bit of Fortuna that I read, and I think it's going to be a great book. If you love your story and the characters, that's half the battle.

I don't particularly love any of my characters at the moment...

t'Sade said...

Wish you the best of luck on the BL submissions. I won't submit anything, obviously, but I do enjoy reading them a lot. Plus, its a fun topic.

There are characters I love and ones I hate. Sometimes, the character I love are the stories that people love just as much and others... not so much. Though, in my WIP, I've gotten a lot of cries for main character, who I love very, very much.

Sedonia said...

Hey Madelynne - I'm sorry about your teeth. That kind of stuff can really sap creative energy. It'll get better. I've been having difficulty writing too, but it's getting better slowly. I've been sending you e-mails but they've been getting returned to me. I was asking you for a quote for Men of Tokyo: Sudden Bliss that we could use in the print cover if you're able. Sorry to bother you with that here, but my private messages aren't getting through.

Saskia Walker said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've been going through a rough patch. It's especially bad when things all comes at once like that. I sympathise. There are good things ahead, believe it! Meanwhile, don't be hard on yourself. Take care.

Bev(QB) said...

GEESH! Take a break, give yourself some time off, would ya? (Well, except for answering that email I sent you. LOLOL.) You'll probably come back renewed and enthusiastic again.

As you know, I'm not a writer, but it seems to me that if you can't get into something you are writing, you need to walk away.

If you figure out WHY you're not into it and realize what you need to do to continue/rework it, great, but if not, then maybe it's just not ready to be written.

BTW, that advice comes from years of reading Laurell Hamilton's blog. I think she has set aside more books that she's spent weeeks on than a lot of authors write in a lifetime. hee

Madelynne Ellis said...

Thanks ladies.

Sedonia - I've mailed you.

Bev - I'm working on the answers. But they weren't exactly easy questions. LOL.

Janine Ashbless said...

Gosh. Know how you're feeling. *hug*

Bev(QB) said...

Were they harder than say... oh, let me think... that diabolical Vulgar Tongue quiz on Lust Bites? Cuz THOSE are some tough questions!

But.. um... by "weren't exactly easy", you DO mean "thought provoking", right? You DON'T mean "WTF is Bev BABBLING about?!" DO you?

*meep*

Madelynne Ellis said...

Of course I mean "thought provoking". Although for me, even "what sort of music to you listen to" is difficult.