Sunday, April 20, 2008

Expanding...

I realise I'm not exactly on blogging top form, but I don't feel I have much to say. If you at all pay attention to the sidebars, you've probably noticed that the word count for Fortuna is ever creeping upwards. I've hit 80,000 words and there's still plenty to go. I don't doubt it's going to make 90,000 words, which may result in me having to do some ruthless cutting if anyone decides to buy this particular wonder.

I blame too many plot strands and my typical cast of thousands (all right, not quite that many).

Incidentally, I've realised that's why that contemporary idea I was working on wasn't working. It was too straightforward. I'm just not happy unless everything is hopelessly complicated. This is one of the problems I have with the romance genre and the movement of BL towards erotic romance. It's all too neat. I like loose ends and ambiguity. I don't believe in HEA's, and I absolutely cannot get my head around the heroine's magical hoohah of rakery reform.

I'm going to stop there before this turns into a rant.

--
Recently watched: Dr Who & BSG Season 1
Currently listening to: Silence... ah, that's good!
Currently reading: For Her Pleasure by Maya Banks & Dark Prince by Christine Feehan

4 comments:

Sedonia Guillone said...

Hey Madelynne - That's great about your word count creeping up. My top word count ever at this point is 82k. Good job! I agree with you about the rake reform thing - a bit unrealistic.

Portia Da Costa said...

Having discussed the issue with you, I'm also inclined to doubt the overnight reform of rakehells by the power of true lurrrrvvve!

HEA? I love them, as you know. But I'm inclined to think that a book can be romantic without a clearcut HEA, and can contain many romantic elements and still not have a full on HEA if it's not right for that particular story. I guess it all depends on the marketing... and what the book's being presented as by the publisher. It's as complicated a subject as relationships themselves are... :)

Well done on the climbing word count!

Saskia Walker said...

I'm a great believer in the Happy For Now ending. :}

Sedonia Guillone said...

I agree with Saskia. I do love HEA and always write them into my books, but Happy for Now is definitely good - it's more realistic and also can provide a sehue for sequels which give the lovers more challenges that bring them closer together.