Wednesday, May 28, 2008


I've been out and about the last two days enjoying some of the beautiful Shropshire countryside. Yesterday, we visited the ruins of what was once the fourth largest Roman city in England. Most of what remains is the bathhouse. Seriously you wouldn't believe the size of the place. More like Olympic swimming pool and associated sports complex than a bathhouse! Today, we took in the beautiful woodlands of Hawkstone Park with it's many follies. It was a lovely place and the drizzly weather didn't dampen our spirits, although it would have been nice to see the landscape from the top of the monument. Apparently you can see three counties on a good day. I could barely see three feet in front of me as we emerged from the top of the very high tower into a cloud.

I think another highlight of the day had to be the system of caves - bringing a torch is recommended, likewise for getting through the various other tunnels.

Interestingly Hawkstone Park was Britain's first tourist park. It first opened during 18th century when the estate was owned by the Hill family. I can't imagine many ladies trekking around that route in their big dresses. It must have played havoc with their hems!

Anyway, I'm home now, and shattered, but I still ought to apply myself to writing (we'll see).

I would like to point out another two recent reviews. These for A Gentleman's Wager. You can read them at RRTerotic and cataromance.

Here's a snippet from the latter review:

Madelynne Ellis expertly blends forbidden passions, illicit liaisons, devastating secrets and dangerous betrayals in this groundbreaking classic of erotic historical romance: A Gentleman’s Wager!

--

Recently watched: BSG Season 3
Currently listening to: The Rain
Currently reading: Nicholas by Elizabeth Amber

2 comments:

Bev(QB) said...

Hmmm... You bring us the most enjoyable souvenirs from your travels!

That trip to Stokesay brought us Vaughan's home and Phantasmagoria.

So, what're you bringing us from Shropshire? Huh, huh?

BTW, I see you've started Elizabeth Amber's trilogy. No matter whether you do or do not like Nicholas (I thought it was a decent read), I highly recommend you read book 2, Raine. Different gets extra points from me, and it most definitely IS different! hee

Madelynne Ellis said...

I don't think you're going to get anything quite so specific from my Hawkstone trip. I liked the place, but it don't love it in the way I do Stokesay.

Then again, maybe bits of it will find their way into Pure Folly.

Oh, hang on, that's not meant for public consumption is it! Mwahhahahah!

I'm only 10 pages into Nicholas so far, but it's holding my attention. Believe me, that in itself is a novelty of late. And I'll admit that part of the reason I picked it up is because of what I've heard about Raine.