Sunday, September 21, 2008

Creaky knee update


Knee still hurts... but at least most of the swelling has gone down. Meanwhile, I've finally made some progress on the writing front. Not huge amounts of progress, just some progress.

Lets see, the liaisons story is at the halfway stage. Need to finish that one by the end of the week. I'm dubious about how good a fit it'll be for the call, because it has a slightly melancholy feel (hm, my short stories do tend to drift that way). It's about a woman visiting a Japanese host bar and it sort of ties in with the contemporary novel I keep failing to write. You know, the one that I can't quite find the missing link to.

However, most progress has been made on my "new" novel, which is a follow on from Broken Angel. I keep trying to pin it down to a genre and end up with urban fantasy/paranormal romance, but after yesterday's glimpse of what's to come I suspect erotic urban fantasy horror might be more accurate. There's definitely an erotic horror element, it could be quite disturbing in places. Okay, scratch that, very disturbing! I'm gonna write it anyway, even though I know certain elements of it might make it a slightly harder sell.

It's good to be working with Blaze and Asha again. I've been struggling with their voices, but I think I finally got a handle on them yesterday. The solution, as it so often is, was to take a long, long bath.

I'm not doing quite so well with my TBR pile, which is growing alarmingly high. Picked up Dark Prince again yesterday, but I can't seem to get into it. I keep waiting for something to happen. Tell me, those whoever read it, does anything happen. Am I actually going to get sucked into this book? Is perseverance going to pay off?

I seem to have reached a halt with the Raven Prince too, but I think that's because I'm just not in a historicals mood at the mo. I think I might have to go and read some chick lit or a nice family saga for a change. I would opt for one of the literary novels in the TBR pile, but that might just as easily put me to sleep or leave me tooth grindingly frustrated when there's no boinking where there should be. Then again, maybe I'll just watch some more Fuurin Kazan.

1 comment:

MB (Leah) said...

because it has a slightly melancholy feel (hm, my short stories do tend to drift that way). It's about a woman visiting a Japanese host bar

Oh, this sounds very intriguing.

There's definitely an erotic horror element, it could be quite disturbing in places. Okay, scratch that, very disturbing!

Wow, this sounds just as intriguing. But this is maybe why I'm attracted to your work, you're not afraid to go to dark, intense places.

I hope the knee is feeling better. What a PITA...er, knee.