Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Missing the magic.

As I predicted my enthusiasm for my new "contemporary" project has evaporated, so I'm pottering about doing bits and pieces on various other projects waiting to see which one grabs my fancy.

It's not that I've totally abandoned the contemp. The storyline is sound, it's just that it lacks that certain ingredient that makes me want to pour my heart and soul into it.

How do you find that missing link?

If I think back over previous books there's always been something about them that made me want to dive into them (in addition to the characters, I mean)

eg.

AGW/Phantasmagoria - Georgian clothing, rambling old stately homes, the illicit nature of the relationships.

Passion of Isis - Archaeology, Egypt, Adventure.

Broken Angel - Fantasy lolita goth weirdness with demons and fights and general mayhem, magic and spookiness.

Dark Designs - yaoi and more lovely clothing, bosozuko, tattoos

Fortuna - molly houses, taboos, more Georgian clothing, graveyards and a bit of a mystery.

Pure Folly - ghosts and mucho m/m shenanigans.

Current contemporary effort - hmmmmmmmmm, big fat zilch.

So, if anyone should have any amazing ideas or character quirks hidden up their sleeves, send them my way.

--
Recently watched: The Tudors
Currently listening to: Silence (it's been something of a novelty over the last six weeks)
Currently reading: His Beautiful Samurai by Sedonia Guillone and The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Holt.

3 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

I wish I could think of something... I'm having similar sorts of problems with the WIP.

It's okay... but it's not grabbing me by the throat and commanding me to write it!

But I'm sure some special twist will come to you soon, and then the book will take light and you won't be able to stop writing! :)

Sedonia Guillone said...

I can totally relate to what you're saying. I've been loving working on the White Tigers series because of the aspects of it that move me and I wonder if I'll be able to get it up about any project after that.

For what it's worth, it's good that you're not forcing yourself to work on something that doesn't excite you. What comes to me to say (hope it's helpful) is that you need to give yourself permission to revisit themes that excite you. Don't worry about being repetitive. eg. if the bosozoku theme still does it for you, you can write a story around a boso in any configuration (m/m, m/f, etc.) that moves you. As a writer, I understand that need. Aside from the White Tigers, I feel that I'd need to continue on with similar storylines and characters, at this point, in order to write from that spark.

Sedonia Guillone said...

p.s. I just noticed you're reading one of my books. Oh! I hope you like it.