Thursday, September 25, 2008

Not quite big enough!

My short story is too short :-(

Somehow I have to add 1500 words to it tomorrow. I see descriptions of foliage coming on!

Me no like the new 6K short story length. 4K was far more reasonable.

I might write two 3K stories next time round. This of course is madness. How come my novels and novellas are always at least 5K (and frequently more) over the required word count, but I can't manage to string enough sentences together to fill a 6K story?

I think it's rather a shame I can't just chop em off one and stick em on the other.

Hmpf!

--
Recently watched: nada
Currently listening to: nada
Currently reading: nada

2 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

Yeah, I find 6K problematical too. It's neither fish nor fowl. Too short for a proper novella, too long for a short story.

Janine Ashbless said...

Yep, me too. 6000 means basically there has to be more than one sex-scene, which can dilute some of the drama ... or involve you writing a more complex plot you then have to shoehorn into the word limit. I'm thinking of going the 2x3K route next time.