Sunday, September 06, 2009

Vacant

I realise I've been a bit vacant recently. I'm going to blame the school holidays, and hence the family being home, but really there's a bit more to it than that. Three days left until school starts again. This makes me happy and sad in equal measures. No more long mornings spent writing in bed while the rest of the household are still asleep, because I'll have to be up at the crack of dawn to do the school run. On the other hand, I will get a whole five hours of the place to myself during the day.

The start of September means it's also time to crack on with my various projects. I've not been idle over the summer, progress has been made, but not at particularly speedy rate. I've written six chapters of The Whore, and I have a vague working outline that I need to beat into synopsis shape. I've also found two great new crit partners.

Crit partners mean time away from my own writing to concentrate on helping improve theirs, but the benefits of decent feedback on my own work makes it worth it. That and I'm enjoying reading their stories which aren't books/genres I'd normally pick up.

But back to the wips.

This is where I'm at:

The Whore 22K, outline - polish to go to agent.

The Bloody Book 22K, - also needs polishing to go to agent.

Gee George (no George's in this story, only a Paris, an Alexander, a Sophie and an Egremont) - a vague twinkling in my brain that needs fleshing out.

Darleston - Outline, and hardly any words.

AGW3 - half an outline and hardly any words.

The plan:

1. WRITE A DAMN SYNOPSIS FOR THE WHORE.
2. Do not waste time tweaking the chapters into oblivion.
3. WRITE THE DAMN SYNOPSIS.
4. Make sense of Gee George. Seriously, how long does it take to write 15K?
5. WRITE ANOTHER SYNOPSIS.
6. Do not bug out and do the ironing instead.

Wish me luck...

--
Recently watched: Mooonraker
Currently listening to: Nothing, I value silence.
Currently reading: Just finished Silent on the Moors by Deanna Raybourn. Nothing else is yelling at me to read it yet.

1 comment:

Sedonia Guillone said...

Welcome back, Madelynne! Congratulations on getting good crit partners. They are invaluable! I've been working on my crit partner's novel almost the entire month of August.