Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Finished, not quite.

You know that proposal that I finished last weekend (not the one just gone the one before that), well, it turns out it wasn't finished after all, hence I'm still at it. I realised that I need some earlier scenes from the alternative viewpoint characters, otherwise they seem to leap out of nowhere around chapter eight.

Other thing I've realised - okay, I already knew it, but it's finally sunk in - I don't really know what this book is in terms of genre. It's erotic, but it's not erotica. There's not nearly enough sex for that. It has a romance running through it, but it breaks way too many romance genre rules to be actuallyRomance, which I guess makes it a Historical with erotic romance elements.

I am loving this book for all my compliants about it. It's dark and gritty, but it's an adventure story, and I think it probably has more in common with Urban Fantasy than traditional Georgian era romance, not that there are any paranormal elements. It's just the feel of it.

Anyway, so I've left one set of characters in limbo with waving their stockings about, and I'm trying to write a viewpoint character with secrets that I don't want to give away, and another viewpoint character who I want to squeeze, but who isn't terribly nice. Oh, and then I have to work out where these extra scenes are going.

Pity my poor crit partners, who having waded through what I sent them the other week will soon have random extra scenes thrown at them.

Oh, it's fun being a writer.

--
Recently watched: Flashforward
Currently listening to: nowt
Currently reading: Just finished Penumbra 18 by Keri Arthur

1 comment:

Janine Ashbless said...

the supple spring of flesh

Nice excerpt! But there is one more anthology out from BL this year, Madelynne - "The Affair", in November.