Tuesday, June 08, 2010

I seriously hate beginnings...

So, after finishing Blood Moon and getting the family holiday out of the way, I figure it's time I settled down to a nice new project. Hell knows, I've enough ideas saved in folders dotted around my desktop, and yet, I just can't quite get started.

It's always the way with beginnings. I haven't quite got to grips with the characters yet. They're still a bit shadowy, not quite fully fleshed, and I wonder if I have enough plot to sustain a book. Is it interesting, or plain old stupid?

But the hardest part is letting go of what I've just finished. The Bloody book has been a long battle. I haven't read it through again yet (still letting it settle), but I have skimmed a few pages and, seriously, I love this book. I want to squeeze it and hug it and I want people to read it and love it just as much as I do... But, I have to exchange it for a new love. One I don't know very well, and who is cranky and demanding. Is it even the right new love of my life?

I'll get back to you on that one in a few weeks.

6 comments:

LVLM said...

Very nice new blog. But then again, my favorite color is purple. :-)

Is Enticement your next book out since Pure Folly? Crap, I feel like I've been in a void with following what's going on.

I try to keep up with any new books you have coming out, don't want to miss any.

And congrats on finally finishing The Bloody book! I'm really looking forward to that one.

Erastes said...

I actually love that part, where the characters are nebulous, because I learn about the characters as I write them--when I first started writing, I did what "they" say you should do, and create a fully fleshed character before writing anything, but now I couldn't do that again. I like chipping away at them and finding out about them as I go. Good luck dear!

Portia Da Costa said...

I'm always nervous about beginnings too. And endings. And middles.

In fact all of it!

But I'm sure once you settle on which project interests you most, you'll be up and running in no time and loving the new challenge. :)

Victoria Janssen said...

I always need a break after finishing a novel.

I figure novels are like love affairs.

Madelynne Ellis said...

Is Enticement your next book out since Pure Folly?

It is. Lots of writing happening, but most of it is still in limbo land.

Erastes: I never do character sheets or anything else. I like to find out who they are as I write, but the first few chapters are really hard, because I know so little.

Portia: I hope you're right about getting into the swing of it.

Victoria: Absolutely, agree with that one. I figure if I'm not in love with my book/characters who else is going to be. It's heartbreaking to give them up at the end.

LVLM said...

It is. Lots of writing happening, but most of it is still in limbo land.

Oh good, I haven't missed anything. :-)