Thursday, November 25, 2010

Ten Excuses

I've been in a bit of a writing slump recently. Last Saturday's outing to Manchester to meet Janine Ashbless and Charlotte Stein helped a lot with that. I always come back from meetings with other writers feeling far more positive. Maybe it's the realisation that we're all in the same boat. It's also fun to sit around chatting about projects and publishers all day without your companions wondering what the devil you're warbling on about.

All that said, I'm still not making much headway, so I thought I'd take stock and look at why that is. Here goes with the excuses...

1) I spend half of my time in hospital appointments! For example I've attended 2 so far this week (bear in mind that one of those lasted from 8.30am - 5.00pm, then add 1-2 hours travel time on top.)I have another to attend tomorrow, then a 3 day long appointment next week.

2) If I'm not in a hospital appointment, there's a good chance I'm at the hotel next door to the hospital sharing a room (and computer) with a six year old.

3)It's very hard to write erotica/erotic romance with a six year old trying to look over your shoulder. Attempting to write urban fantasy doesn't improve the situation much.

4)If I'm not busy with 1-3, I'm probably cleaning, because I'm TRYING to sell my house.

5)I'm also learning to drive. Driving lessons eat money and time.

6) I still do all the other normal things that every other parent is expected to do.

7) Apparently it's nearly Christmas!

8) If I don't buy a new calendar soon, my head with probably explode from the pressure of trying to keep track of the six zillion appointments I have to remember.

9) I have no faith in my writing (except for the days when I think I rock).

10) I need a minimum of six and a half hours sleep each night or my brain stops working. Really, I can't cut it down to any less than that.

So yeah, that's my excuses for why I've only written 162,500 words so far this year rather than the 240,000 words I'd like to have written.

No comments: