Thursday, December 02, 2010

Advent Calendar Day 2: Labyrinth

The method by which ideas come together and form a whole remains a mystery to me. I'm not a plotter. I don't sit and painstakingly plan out every scene. I don't create character profiles. I don't conduct interviews. Nope, I start with a name and a few images and set to. So what's this got to do with Labyrinth? Well, I thought I'd attempt to show you a wee fraction of the jumbled mess inside my head by sharing a few tasters from some of my favourite films. Films that have certainly inspired a character defect or two and a whole heap of visuals.

Brace yourselves folks. (Okay, not that much!) Although I maybe should point out that Bizarre magazine many, many moons ago once published a top 10 of weird films and I ranked over half of them high up in my all time faves list. You'll be pleased to know I'm not including them all here today. Meanwhile, we're also having a little bit of a musical theme.

Don't worry, I'll break you in gently. I'll also leave you to decide what exactly inspired which bits of which books, if indeed such a thing can be deciphered. Consider it a sort of quiz.

1. Labyrinth:


2. Ashura



3. Desperado



4. Gothic 



5. Velvet Goldmine



6. Amadeus





7. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls


8.

2 comments:

Janine Ashbless said...

You have excellent taste in movies! (she says...)

Madelynne Ellis said...

As do you, Ms Ashbless. As do you.