Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Carriages

Yes, I know it was ages ago, weeks at least, but here at last are some of the carriages I photographed. I have to say here that I love my camera. Sure, they're not the best pics in the world, but considering the lighting conditions in the room where they were housed and the fact that flash photography wasn't permitted, I think they came out surprisingly well. They really are lovely, though I think I like the Spider Phaeton best. I imagine it was pretty hair raising driving around in one. What's not perhaps apparent in the pictures is the actual size of some of these carriages. They are absolutely huge. Some of the wheels on these beasties are easily my height, so I don't think there was a whole lot of hopping in and out of them without waiting for some manner of assistance.

Mid to Late 19th Century Family Carriage.

1829 Britzschka Chariot - family carriage. Note the luggage compartments.


late 19th Century Spider Phaeton



 
Spider Phaeton interior


Private Omnibus



1838 onwards Brougham with Moroccan leather interior


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

Very cool!

The East Coaster said...

These are awesome pic - thanks for posting them!