Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Islands & Timetables

Since the kids are back at school, and I've been blessed with a deadline, I've had to adopt a new writing schedule. It seems to be working for the most part, perhaps because I've tried to keep it simple. Mon-Wed I'm concentrating on Nookie Island, minimum of 2K per day. Rather miraculously, I'm actually more or less managing that! Thursday is other projects day and Friday is please myself and tidy the house day. Anything I accomplish on a weekend is considered a bonus.

Fort Clonque
What I find amazing about this system is that I've gone from attempting to get 5K/week done, spread over the whole week and frequently failing, to writing 6K in 3 days, plus bonus material on other projects. How does that work? Is my brain going to suddenly seize up sometime next week and refuse to play along any more? Is it the deadline that's prompting me to work a bit harder? Maybe it's just this book.


St Michael's Mount
I realise I haven't said much about it. Not that I say a great deal about any of my works in progress. Nookie Island (no that isn't the official title) is a contemporary erotic menage set in the UK on a teeny tiny made up island. The island is based on a combination of Fort Clonque, off Alderney, and St Michael's Mount. Both islands, like the one in the book, can be reached by a causeway from the mainland, but are cut off at high tide. That means no escape for my heroine. Hm, actually she's kind of hiding out on the island and with two gorgeous men chasing her, I don't think she's all that keen to go home. What do you think of the island setting? 


3 comments:

Victoria Janssen said...

I, too, have found that limited time sometimes increases productivity. It's like psychological blackmail, or something!

Madelynne Ellis said...

Whatever it is, it appears to be working.

Justine Elyot said...

How have I never heard of Fort Clonque? What a marvellous name. Whatever the nameless project is, it sounds amazing.