Monday, March 26, 2012

Making Mischief

Tomorrow is the official launch of new HarperCollins imprint Mischief Books (www.mischiefbooks.com) Please stop by and take a look around. I've already treated myself to offerings by Janine Ashbless, Charlotte Stein and Justine Elyot.


It also means I get to reveal the lovely new cover for my April Release Anything But Vanilla. I do really like this picture. It somehow manages to be a bit James Bond and bit arty, while also implying that they're up to no good. Additionally, it makes a fair representation of Kara and Zach, two of the three main players.


Rather than just present you with the blurb (see below) I thought I'd share a few facts about the writing experience that was Anything But Vanilla.

1. I had a really tight deadline for this book, which meant I had to quit procrastinating and actually write 2K words a day.

2. It's pretty darn kinky, even for me. Which left me shaking my head over some of the things I'd included in the synopsis. For instance, why did I think a scene involving an "oar" and a "spanking" would be a good idea? As it turns out, it was... but I did question myself over that one.

3. I got to write loads of m/m bits without that being the main emphasis of the story.

4. The title not only refers to the saucy antics of the characters but the fact that Zach Blackwater is an ice-cream van salesman.

5. Liddell Island is based on a combination of Fort Clonque off Alderney and St Micheal's Mount. I don't think either of those locations have earned the epitaph of Nookie Island.

6.Ric is actually short of Alaric. I really wanted (and he insisted) that he had a really old-fashioned name. It rather fits in with his feudal heritage.

7. The first version of the cover (yes, books sometimes go through several versions) was seriously scorcho, and deemed too lewd. I actually prefer the final version, even though it only shows two of the characters. I'd already told my editor that I wanted to write a story for this image before they decided to use it.
8. I've a little twinkling of an idea forming for a novella also set on Liddell Island, this time featuring one of Ric's cousins (watch this space).

Kara North is on the run. Fleeing from her controlling fiancĂ© and a wedding she never wanted, she accepts the chance offer of refuge on wild, rocky Liddell Island, where she soon catches the eye of the island’s owner, erotic photographer Ric Liddell. Wickedly sexy by day and just plain wicked by night, Ric rules his domain like a feudal lord. He’s used to getting what he wants, without any commitment, and just when Kara thinks she has him hooked, he hides behind a cool, dispassionate mask.

But pleasure comes in more than one flavour when Zachary Blackwater, the charming ice-cream vendor also takes an interest, and wants more than just a tumble in the surf. Zach offers her warmth that she never felt from her ex, and soon it’s not just the ice cream that’s melting.

When Kara learns that the two men have been unlikely lovers for years, she becomes obsessed with the idea of a threesome. Zach is reluctant, until he sees the dynamic effect Kara has on Ric’s emotions. She might be the key to finally capturing Ric’s heart.

Soon Kara is wondering how she ever considered binding herself to just one man. She’s never had so much fun or felt so uninhibited, but just when everything seems so perfect, the man she left behind returns with some very old-fashioned ideas about rescuing her and taking her home to his own idea of wedded bliss.


2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

This sounds great, Madelynne. I can't wait for it's release.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Sedonia Guillone said...

I'm so excited for you!